Compassion. Dedication. Extraordinary Care.
- 2009: Relocated to North Vancouver at the end of cardiology training in 2009 and began practice.
- 2015: Appointed head of cardiology at Lions Gate Hospital. A voluntary and busy role which has provided enormous opportunity to improve the care of cardiac patients on the North Shore and throughout the Coastal Community of Care.
- 2017: Lead physician for the North Shore Heart Function Clinic, a new clinic for patients with congestive heart failure.
Born in Richmond General Hospital and a native of a Tsawwassen. Dr. Vyselaar is a devoted husband to his amazing wife Jen and proud father of two girls, Nikola and Vivian, and a son, Max. A keen amateur sportsman; exercise, competitive races and hiking are a regular recreation activity. Sports of all kinds are a passion, and when not participating in them directly Dr Vyselaar is also an expert and enthusiastic supporter of Whitecaps FC. A follower of meditation and mindfulness techniques, Dr.John is also an avid reader with a love of technology.
- Medical lead for the critical care treatment of seriously ill cardiac patients in Lions Gate Hospital, under cardiologist supervision.
- Undertook further training in the assessment of implantable cardiac defibrillators (ICDs). The first cardiologist to do this on the North Shore.
- Interest in echocardiography (echo). The only cardiologist to perform transesophageal echo at Lions Gate Hospital (as do two radiologists) and lead advocate for the implementation of echo contrast at LGH.
- Sports cardiologist; providing consultations and screening for the Vancouver Whitecaps, BC Lions, Vancouver Canucks, multiple Olympic teams, and other professional and high-level athletes. A member of the Sports and Exercise Executive of the American College of Cardiology.
- Regular public speaker, author and radio guest speaker. A tireless advocate for public awareness of heart health and healthy living.
- UBC Clinical Instructor; teaching medical students, family medicine residents, and cardiology fellows in his practice.
- Advocate and medical co-lead for the use of telehealth, to serve patients in geographically remote areas. Has equipment in his office to facilitate patient assessment on an urgent basis.
- Site leader (principal investigator) for multiple clinical trials, and leads a research nurse program. Current trials include: CiRT, exploring treatments to reduce inflammation in patients with coronary disease; BRAIN-AF, studying cognitive changes in atrial fibrillation; ADMIRE-ICD, studying new approaches to risk stratify patients for ICD implantation; GALACTIC-HF, studying a new therapy for congestive heart failure; and REACT and GOAL, studies that assess lipid management. Recently completed the C-CUSP atrial fibrillation follow-up study. A contributing investigator to the PARTHENON heart failure trial.
- Proud to serve as Secretary Treasurer for the Lions Gate Physician Society, working to improve physician engagement at LGH.